Category Archives: Mitch Ganzak
>The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins have signed defenseman Mitch Ganzak to an American Hockey League contract, it was announced on Tuesday.
>Former RedHawk defenseman Mitch Ganzak has been named to the ECHL-All Rookie team. Ganzak, who spent this season with the Wheeling Nailers, registered a total of 39 points (7th best in ECHL) and a +15 rating. His 32 assists are 6th best in the “E” among defensemen. Ganzak has played three games in the AHL this season. Two with Albany and one with the Norfolk Admirals.
The Nailers have three games remaining, including tonight’s contest against Trenton.
(Photo Credit to Rachel Lewis)
>– Just a bit of news today, as defenseman Mitch Ganzak was released just one game into his 25-game tryout with the Norfolk Admirals. Ganzak was a -1 with no points in his only game with Norfolk. Methinks this has something to do with Ty Wishart and Vladimir Mihalik being sent back from Tampa Bay.
Anyhow, Ganzak will now return to the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL.
– After a dismal performance at the Ohio Hockey Classic this weekend, the RedHawks have dropped from number two in the country…to number eight in the latest USA Today Division I poll. Miami takes on Michigan, in Ann Arbor, this weekend.
>- Not a good weekend for the RedHawks. A fourth place finish in the Ohio Hockey Classic, with losses to Clarkson and Army. Who’d have ever thought? Miami is now 4-4-2 all time in the OHC and was the first time since 2004 that the ‘Hawks have lost consecutive non-conference games. Army scored two shorthanded goals and Clarkson scored two powerplay goals. From all reports, the special teams play simply called in this weekend. This team needs a bag skate and a lot of work this week before a tough series in Ann Arbor next weekend. Enough said.
By the way, Ohio State won The Classic, with a 2-0 victory over Clarkson.
– Defenseman Mitch Ganzak was a -1 in his debut with the Norfolk Admirals tonight.
– Jeff Zatkoff took his second AHL loss in as many games in a 2-1 loss to Grand Rapids on Saturday night. Zats is now 0-2 in the “A” with a 2.53 GAA.
>Great news today, for Wheeling Nailers defenseman Mitch Ganzak, as he has signed a PTO with the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals (affiliate of the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning.)
Ganzak has played well this season in the “E” with Wheeling, registering 4 goals, 18 assists, and is third in the ECHL with + 19 ranking.
For those who don’t know, “PTO” stands for Professional Try Out. These types of contracts are for 25 games, but a player can be released before those allotted games are up. A second PTO can also be signed, the difference here being that the player becomes a free agent after the second PTO is completed/terminated, or the player will be signed to an “SPC”, meaning standard player contract.
Ganzak will wear number 43 for the Admirals, who take on the Portland Pirates at 7pm.
Congratulations and good luck Mitch!
>– The Cincinnati Hockey Blog has a nice feature on the pro career of RedHawks Assistant Coach Chris Bergeron. Happy (belated) birthday Berge! You can check that out at this link.
– Ryan Jones scored the game winning goal in OT Friday night as the Milwaukee Admirals defeated the Houston Aeros, 2-1. Jonesy was also named the as the game’s first star. Milwaukee and Houston again, face-off today at 3:50pm.
– Nino Musitelli had a knee first collision with the dasher board on Friday night and sat out of Saturday’s game against Reading. No word on whether or not Musitelli will play tonight, as the Dayton Bombers once again host Joe Cooper and the Reading Royals. Nino has been impressive with the Bombers, scoring 6 goals and 9 assists.
– Mitch Ganzak (Wheeling) is currently second in the league’s plus/minus ranking, with a +15 on the season. Another former RedHawk, Ernie Hartlieb, is fourth, with a +13.
>– Former RedHawk defenseman Mitch Ganzak carried his share of the load by adding four assists as the Wheeling Nailers defeated the Cincinnati Cyclones on Friday night, 9-7.
With tonight’s totals, Ganzak now has a total of four assists on the season and is seventh in the ECHL among the assist leaders.
– Another good night for another RedHawk defenseman as Alec Martinez scored his first professional goal in a 3-2 Manchester win on Friday night over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Martinez’ tally came on the power play, in the third period and was the game winner.
>The Official Website of the ECHL is reporting tonight, that former RedHawk defenseman Mitch Ganzak has been added to the Wheeling Nailers training camp roster.
If you’ll recall, Ganzak was in camp with the Ottawa Senators, then assigned to Binghamton of the AHL, then released all together.
Let’s hope Mitch catches on with Wheeling (who, by the way, are affiliated with the Pittsburgh Penguins).
Check it out here.
>Just a short update here. I’ve compiled this post of where our Miami alumni are, training camp wise after all the cuts, reassignments, and whatnot.
Los Angeles Kings:
Assigned goaltender Jeff Zatkoff to Manchester of the AHL
Assigned forward Mike Glumac to Hamilton of the AHL
Assigned forward Nino Musitelli to Dayton of the ECHL
– Ryan Jones is still in the hunt for an NHL roster spot in Nashville
– Marty Guerin will be attending the Hartford Wolfpack AHL camp
– Nathan Davis is attending the Rockford IceHogs AHL camp
– Mitch Ganzak is in camp with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL
– Alec Martinez is still in camp with the LA Kings
– Kevyn Adams may indeed be a Chicago Blackhawk on opening night, as he was a free agent invitee. He’s had a solid camp for a veteran player.