Category Archives: Joe Cooper
>- Today’s Miami Memory is a Goggin classic. Alec Martinez’ OT goal against the Western Michigan Broncos to send the RedHawks to Detroit and close out Goggin Ice Arena. You can view it at this link. Listening to Dave Allen’s call of the final goal gives me the chills…boy, do I miss that place.
– Justin Mercier has been named to the Inside College Hockey preseason All-American third team. No other RedHawks were listed on either the first, second, third or rookie team. Yikes.
– Former RedHawk Joe Cooper, signed with the Toronto Marlies, has been assigned to the Reading Royals of the ECHL.
– CollegeHockeyNews has released their CCHA season preview. The CHN staffers have the RedHawks finishing in third place.
With two unproven netminders and a young and inexperienced defense, Miami will have a hard time closing out games in a grueling conference.
– Ohio State has some “pre-Miami” audio/video on prepping for the RedHawks this weekend. Here, they have an interview with Defenseman Shane Simms, Captain Zach Pelletier, and Head Coach John Markell. Check it out to see the Bucks’ take on playing one of their in-state rivals. Pelletier sounds pretty confident that OSU can handle the ‘Hawks come this weekend.
– AND…one final note. Photos from the Have Fun Play Hockey clinic from Tuesday night have been posted. Check them out here.
>As training camps begin to open for many leagues, here is a running list of former RedHawks who’ll be involved. Obviously, some of the names won’t be a shock, as there are a few “established NHL-ers” here. If you find a name I’ve missed, please contact me.
Mitch Ganzak, Defenseman
(Link to Official Release)
41- Nathan Davis, Center
(Blackhawks Team A Camp Roster)
17- Kevyn Adams, Center
**Adams was a free agent invitee**
(Blackhawks Team C Camp Roster)
Los Angeles Kings:
53- Alec Martinez, Defenseman
36- Jeff Zatkoff, Goaltender
(Kings Training Camp Roster)
98- Mike Glumac, Forward
(Canadiens Training Camp Roster)
28- Ryan Jones, Left Wing
(Predators Training Camp Roster)
New Jersey Devils:
6- Andy Greene, Defenseman
San Jose Sharks:
22- Dan Boyle, Defenseman
(Sharks Training Camp Roster)
Toronto Maple Leafs:
*Joe Cooper, Forward
(Maple Leafs Rookie Training Camp Roster)
Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins:
Nino Musitelli, Forward
(WB/Scranton Training Camp Roster)
*Denotes rookie camp attendee
>The Toronto Marlies have announced the signing of former RedHawk forward Joe Cooper. Here’s the excerpt from the official press release:
Cooper played five games with the Columbia Inferno last season, registering 12 penalty minutes. The 6’0, 200-pound defenceman skated in three games for Columbia in the 2008 ECHL playoffs and registered nine penalty minutes. The 23-year-old Toronto native was originally selected in the seventh round, 219th overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
Per club policy, terms were not disclosed.
At Miami, Cooper played in 145 games from 2003-2007, scoring 8 goals and 15 assists and serving as an alternate captain for a small part of his RedHawk career.
I must say I’m pleasantly surprised to see this move. I’ve always viewed Joe Cooper as an ECHL or CHL level talent. If he can draw some minutes with Toronto, then all the better things will be. It’s great for him to get some experience, especially at the AHL level. He’ll bring his tough nosed game to the Ricoh Coliseum night in and night out.
**On a side note, former UNO Maverick Juha Uotila was also signed by the Toronto Marlies.**