Category Archives: Andy Greene
>Greene In Devils Lineup For Game 5
>Just a news article to pass along today, on former Miami captain Andy Greene. An injury to Devils’ defenseman Bryce Salvador has thrust Greene into the lineup for tonight’s game 5 matchup against the Carolina Hurricanes. Here is an article from NHL.com about Greene getting his first taste of the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
New Jersey and Carolina are currently tied at two games apiece in the best of seven series.
>Zatkoff Gets the Call & More
>– The Manchester Monarchs have announced that they have called up goaltender Jeff Zatkoff from Ontario of the ECHL. This is due to Jonathan Quick’s call up to Los Angeles, under emergency conditions.
– The RedHawks has moved up to number two in the latest USCHO Division I poll. Other CCHA notables are Michigan (12), Nebraska-Omaha (16) and Alaska (18).
– Still no official word tonight on Nino Musitelli’s reported shoulder injury. He hasn’t been placed on the IR as of yet.
– The New Jersey Devils have taken defenseman Andy Greene off of the injured reserve list, after recovering from a broken hand. Greene may return tonight, against Toronto, or tomorrow night, when the Devils take on the Sabres.
– After a six point weekend against RPI, sophomore forward Carter Camper has been named as one of the CCHA Players’ of the Week.
>– NHL.com has a nice feature on Sharks’ defenseman Dan Boyle, who is off to a fantastic start this season. The article mentions this tidbit, which I found interesting:
Boyle actually wears jersey No. 22 in honor of his favorite Flyer — Rick Tocchet, now the Tampa Bay Lightning coach. The Lightning were Boyle’s former team.
Check it out by clicking here.
– Ryan Jones scored yet another goal on Wednesday night, as the Milwaukee Admirals defeated Quad City, 5-3. Jonesy now has 6 goals and 3 assists in 8 games with the Ads. Can a brotha’ get a call up?
– After a weekend sweep of lowly Western Michigan, the RedHawks have moved up one spot, to number three, in the latest USCHO.com Division I Poll. Miami trails Notre Dame and Minnesota at 1 and 2, respectively.
– Former RedHawk captain Andy Greene participated in the New Jersey Devils optional morning skate today and should be close to returning to the lineup after breaking his right hand on October 29. Greene says that he isn’t sure exactly when he’ll be back in the Devils’ lineup, but says he does expect to practice tomorrow.
UPDATE: Devils Coach Brent Sutter said before Wednesday’s game that Andy will not play until at least next week. Source.
– The United Way of Oxford is partnering with the Miami hockey program to help those less fortunate this holiday season, by offering two “hockey themed” packages, to raise money charity organization. Here’s a link to each of the packages, listed on eBay:
Package One (Click Here): Fans can bid to be the “Guest Coach” for the RedHawks and join Coach Blasi on the bench as Miami hosts Bowling Green Falcons on January 30. Bidding ends on December 14 at 5:30pm.
Package Two (Click Here): Up for grabs here, are four tickets to the Miami/Northern Michigan game on February 20. However, these aren’t just any tickets. The lucky winner of this auction will get to enjoy this CCHA match up from Coach Blasi’s box suite at Cady Arena. This auction also ends at 5:30pm on December 14.
Be sure and have the checkbook ready if you plan to bid. Both packages are already quite pricey, but it’s for a great cause. For more information on the United Way of Oxford, check out UWOxford.org.
– Ryan Jones scored yet another goal Wednesday night, as the Milwaukee Admirals defeated Quad City, 5-3. Jonesy now has 6 goals and 3 assists in 8 games with the Ads. Can a brotha’ get a call up?
– And finally, the RedHawks take on the RPI Engineers this weekend. Once again, it’s a Saturday/Sunday series. Saturday’s game will be broadcast live on ONN with Dave Allen (play-by-play) and Kevin Ackley (color commentary).
Here are the game notes, courtesy of the RPI Athletic Department. (For those wondering, RPI’s record is 3-11-1. They’ve only beaten Harvard, Brown, and Robert Morris.)
>Quick update here just before I head off to bed.
– Dan Boyle chipped in a goal as the San Jose Sharks denied the Philadelphia Flyers their first win of the season. San Jose won, in a shootout, 7-6.
– Nice find by laxmom here, as the Newark Star-Ledger has a nice article about Andy Greene and his “perfect record” in the Devil’s lineup. (You’ll have to read the article, if you don’t know what the “prefect record” is.) Greene now has one goal and two assists so far this season.
– Ryan Jones has updated his blog with the Nashville Predators. The blog is linked on the upper right side of this page. Jones is also featured in the video below, reading to some elementary school children. What a guy.
>Greene to Make Season Debut Thursday
>Thanks again laxmom for this…from the Star-Ledger about Andy Greene:
Anyway, the gist is this: There were no changes in Sutter’s groupings from Tuesday, meaning all four lines remain the same, and Andy Greene is still expected to make his season debut Thursday night in Atlanta, replacing Anssi Salmela.
What does Sutter expect from Greene?
“Just come in and be a steady player,” the coach said. “Play with some intensity and emotion and be steady.”
Sutter said Greene’s skating is better than it was last year and made sure to add that “We’re not disappointed in (Greene) at all. Salmela had a great training camp and deserved to be in our top six. That’s nothing against Greene or (Sheldon Brookbank).”
>Updated: Miami Alumni In Training Camps
>As training camps begin to open for many leagues, here is a running list of former RedHawks who’ll be involved. Obviously, some of the names won’t be a shock, as there are a few “established NHL-ers” here. If you find a name I’ve missed, please contact me.
Mitch Ganzak, Defenseman
(Link to Official Release)
41- Nathan Davis, Center
(Blackhawks Team A Camp Roster)
17- Kevyn Adams, Center
**Adams was a free agent invitee**
(Blackhawks Team C Camp Roster)
Los Angeles Kings:
53- Alec Martinez, Defenseman
36- Jeff Zatkoff, Goaltender
(Kings Training Camp Roster)
98- Mike Glumac, Forward
(Canadiens Training Camp Roster)
28- Ryan Jones, Left Wing
(Predators Training Camp Roster)
New Jersey Devils:
6- Andy Greene, Defenseman
San Jose Sharks:
22- Dan Boyle, Defenseman
(Sharks Training Camp Roster)
Toronto Maple Leafs:
*Joe Cooper, Forward
(Maple Leafs Rookie Training Camp Roster)
Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins:
Nino Musitelli, Forward
(WB/Scranton Training Camp Roster)
*Denotes rookie camp attendee
>Catching Up With Andy Greene
>Great article at this link from the New Jersey Devils. They’ve done a “catching up” off season interview with Andy Greene. Here is a short preview:
“I’ve had a good summer. I’ve been working out and training hard with [Devils strength and conditioning coordinator] Mike Vasalani, and I’m feeling confident about the shape I’m in both mentally and physically. I’m hoping to use everything I’ve done this summer to go right into training camp and into the season ready to have a good year.”
Also, you can see some video of Andy “in-action” with the Devils below: