Category Archives: Six Pack
Week 2 Recap
Riley Barber in action against Colgate. The freshman led the way
this weekend against Providence. (source: MuRedHawks.com)
This weekend’s matchup with Providence brought us some fantastic hockey, as the then fourth-ranked RedHawks improved to 3-0-1 on the young season.
I’ll happily take some of the credit for this one: Riley Barber is this week’s CCHA Gongshow Rookie of the Week. Barber was on fire this weekend, and we love how this freshman has jumped right into the mix for the RedHawks. Despite missing his shootout attempt on Friday night (he beat Gillies but rang it off the post), Barber still was the Hawks biggest contributor over the weekend with a goal Friday and a goal and 2 assists in Saturday’s win. He also had 7 shots on the weekend, was a +3 and blocked 2 Providence shots.
In the polls, Miami jumps up a spot to #3 in each of the weekly rankings. It’s still the time of year where those who win, climb, and those who lose fall, but I don’t think that many people would have thought we’d be the third ranked team in the country after 2 weeks.
In the USCHO poll, Miami earned 4 first place votes – one of 8 teams to earn the top billing on someone’s ballot. Miami was one of just 3 to receive first place votes in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. Both polls had Boston College receiving the vast majority of the first place votes and in the top slot, with Minnesota second. Both were in Tampa last year for the Frozen Four, and BC beat Minnesota en route to the NCAA Championship.
If you didn’t catch them, here are Austin Czarnik and Cody Murphy’s shootout winning goals from Friday night. We like seeing them over and over again, even if the RedHawks didn’t get more than a tie and a moral victory on the evening.
Sorry for the shakiness on this one. It’s not the ABSOLUTELY FILTHY move that we saw from Austin Czarnik, but this one-move-magic from Cody Murphy was good enough for the game winner. Way to pick your spot, fella.
And finally, here is your Sunday SixPack of tweets. Be sure to follow @redskinwarriors to complete your Miami Hockey experience!
- Coleman’s stats through 1 period last night: 1 shot, 1 goal, 1 penalty, 6 for 6 on faceoffs. #insidethenumbers Miele + Jones = Coleman?
- Taylor Richart: Shot Blocker Extraordinaire. 9 blocks against Colgate and 9 more against Providence. He’s nothing short of a #brickwall.
- Miami is now 19 for 20 (95%) on the Penalty Kill, 3 for 17 (17.6%) on the Power Play and have allowed just 5 goals in 4 games. #DEFENSE
- First line (Paulazzo/Czarnik/Barber) had 3G, 5A last night and went +6. 7G, 7A and +12 on the season. #unstoppableforce
- Jay Williams and Ryan McKay are undefeated through 4 games. Combined .954 Sv%. Are you ready to see your records fall @knapper311 ?? #reloaded
- Every team in the #CCHA has a victory. Only Miami is left without a loss. Miami is 5-45-1 at Michigan all time, 0-2 in AA last yr #RoadTrip
Miami takes its first road trip of the season this week to Ann Arbor, MI to take on the 6th-ranked Wolverines. Friday’s game will be on Comcast Sports Net in Michigan. We’ll let you know if we find any local TV or internet feed for the games. As always, Miami All-Access will have Greg Waddell with the audio-only call for both games.
Highlights and your Weekend #SixPacks
For those of you who don’t follow us on Twitter (GASP!!!), here are your Saturday and Sunday #SixPacks from @redskinwarriors. No, they aren’t this kind of #SixPacks, or even this kind. But check out our twitter feed for some highlights and low lights from the night’s games across college hockey.
- Shots on the night were 41-13 #miamiu. NMU had 2 goals on 4 shots in the 1st period and only 8 shots in the first 2 periods. #
- The Connor Knapp “riddle” was solved last night in the 1st period. 2 goals on 13 shots. 1st game in 6 Knapp allowed > 1 goal. 1st loss since 12/2/11 vs NMU.
- The #RedHawks only have 3 goals in 3 games vs NMU. Miami has outshot NMU in all three L’s this year. Least shots allowed by #MiamiU since 12/30/10 (11 vs SCSU)
- After losing the weekend openers this year, Miami is 0-3 in game 2 vs. the same team (Ferris, Lake St, NMU). #digdeep #youcandoit
- Even with the loss, Miami sits tied for 4th in the #CCHA and with wins tonight, LSSU and Miami could jump to t-1 if WMU/OSU both lose. 6 teams w/in 4 points of #1 #crazyconference
- Ohio State STILL hasn’t won in 2012, and with WMich’s 4-1 win @ BGSU, WMU is now #1 in the #CCHA WMU 36, OSU 35, FSU 34, MU/LSSU 33, Mich 32
Here are your highlights from Friday night as well:
- Miami outshot NMU 81-29 on the weekend. Reilly Smith scored his 100th point. A Wideman scored for first time since 10/7/11. #insidetheboxscore
- Cody Reichard ties David Burleigh for career shutouts at #MiamiU. Burleigh played 134 games. Reichard has only played in 88. #brickwall
- Lake Superior State has won all 4 shootouts they have been in. Kevin Kapalka has been in net for all 4. LSSU just 2 points out of first. #CCHA
- Notre Dame and Alaska split their series. At puck drop on Saturday night, it was a balmy -44 degrees in Fairbanks. -52 after the game. #brrr #ohioweatherisntthatbad
- Ohio State 0-4-4 in 2012. Couldn’t hold 2-1 or 4-3 leads. Ferris sweeps Mich St, 6-0-2 in 2012. Standings: Ferris 37, MIA/WMU/OSU 36, LSt 35, ND 33, Mich 32
- Pairwise update: Miami sits tied for 8th after the weekend. #MiamiU has the most wins (14) vs Teams Under Consideration. http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/ #NCAAHockey
(The above in reference to the 10-minute delay due to a lighting malfunction in the Arena. We send out a special thanks to Miami’s Director of Hockey Operations Josh Fenton and the Goggin Ice Arena Staff for their hard work!)
Highlights from the night are still being updated. Check back soon to either Steve Baker’s or the CCHA’s YouTube channels.